Posting Date: August 18, 2022
Come join our team and make a difference! SBW Consulting has been a leader in the clean energy field for over 30 years, with a stellar reputation in energy efficiency program development and evaluation. Our clients include utilities, regional organizations, and building owners looking to reduce energy use and greenhouse gas emissions at commercial, residential, industrial, and agricultural facilities. Our practice is growing—with large, multi-year contracts offering cutting-edge and stimulating technical work.
SBW Consulting is looking for full-time engineers with a passion for and experience in energy efficiency or manufacturing. Primary role will be working with industrial customers to identify projects to reduce energy usage, then quantify the savings and help those customers to successfully implement them. This is part of long-term (five-year) contract. If you love problem solving, collaboration, and interacting with customers, then this job is for you!
Key job duties include the following:
- Encouraging industrial customers to participate in a statewide energy efficiency program, and working with them to scope and develop projects.
- Assess energy use using rigorous analytical and measurement techniques in industrial and other facilities
- Collect customer data through on-site and remote observations, interviews, and metering.
- Develop and review custom engineering calculations to evaluate energy use.
- Set up and perform in-depth energy performance modeling of equipment, systems, and facilities with simulation software packages or statistical analyses.
- Work efficiently and collaboratively with others on complex projects.
Qualifications: The candidate should possess:
- Professional or academic work experience in the energy efficiency (EE) field with a B.S. degree in a relevant scientific or engineering discipline.
- Excellent writing, computer, and oral communication skills for both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to work effectively and juggle multiple responsibilities, with minimal supervision.
- Outgoing personality willing to work closely onsite with industrial and other customers.
- Willingness to travel up to 40% of the time, mostly for day trips in the Willamette Valley.
In addition, the ideal candidate would hold these qualifications:
- Experience analyzing energy use in commercial or industrial systems.
- Demonstrated physics-based modeling or statistical data analysis skills.
- Data processing skills, including proficiency with MS Excel, R, or Python.
At SBW Consulting, we envision a world that uses resources wisely. Our mission is to help society combat climate change through more efficient energy and water use. To that end, we have been running innovative programs and conducting groundbreaking studies to improve resource efficiency programs throughout North America since our inception in 1990.
We pride ourselves on being independent, innovative, and rigorous in what we do—always keeping in mind the larger context—and successfully applying many decades of collective engineering experience to a wide array of industry challenges.
Our efforts over the years have reduced resource use and GHG emissions at thousands of residences, businesses, and industries across the United States. Our headquarters is near Seattle, Washington, and we have field locations throughout the U.S.
What makes SBW a great place to work?
- We are a close-knit, caring group of people who work well together to achieve collective success.
- We are passionate about what we do and share a common commitment to high-quality work and top-notch service for our clients.
- We are proud of our strong reputation, national profile, and our proven adaptability over the decades.
- We are excited about the future of our field and expect to contribute to that future in the years to come.
- We are committed to employees’ professional development via mentoring and training opportunities. SBW has a demonstrated track record of promoting from within.
- We are committed to hiring individuals from groups underrepresented in our field.
- We offer a flexible work environment, with working arrangements tailored to individuals’ circumstances and an emphasis on appropriate work-life balance.
Salary Range: $75,000-$100,000 annually, depending on experience.
Compensation and Benefits: SBW provides its employees a professional, collaborative, and family-friendly work environment. The latter includes options for flexible schedules and working remotely. We offer a competitive salary, annual performance bonus, monthly health insurance stipend, life and disability insurance, generous paid time off, and 401(k) plan with employer matching. Relocation assistance is also available.
Location: Western Oregon, in either the greater Portland metropolitan area or the Willamette Valley. Working from home, from a company-provided coworking space, or out of our office arrangement in Southeast Portland are all acceptable options, as is some combination of these.
Application Process: Please email a cover letter and resume as a single Word document or PDF to email@example.com. Include the string “SBW Website EPEngineer” in the subject line. It may take up to two weeks to receive a response. Due to time constraints, we are only able to reach out to qualified applicants.
Job Type: Full-time
SBW is an Equal Opportunity Employer